Water is one of the essential elements on Earth, without which life is impossible. Due to limited resources, pollution, and excessive wastage, this element has become contaminated and is on its verge of extinction. This has given a new task to scientists across the world to find ways to save this precious asset. Many awareness programs and technologies to collect, reuse, and clean the water have been introduced. Water purifiers are one of the most trusted ways to make contaminated water fit for drinking.
Drinking clean and healthy water is a must for a healthy body. Water contamination has attracted many companies to invest in the water purification business. The market is flooded with different types of water purification systems to choose from.
Benefits of water treatment
- Drinking water keeps your body hydrated and helps in reducing weight.
- Many poisonous and unwanted substances get eliminated or de-activated by using water purifiers.
- Clean and pure water helps in boosting immunity in kids, which helps in their growth.
- Drinking clean water cleanses your skin, making it glowing and healthy.
- Clean water helps in easy digestion by breaking the food into particles, which also helps in easy absorption of nutrients from food.
As different water purifiers use different technology to clean water, choosing the best one depends on the quality of water and its TDS levels. Quality of water means whether water is hard or muddy or from a pond or lake where many hazardous microorganisms are present.TDS or Total Dissolved Solids are the total numbers of ions, including minerals, salts, and metals dissolved in water. It is expressed as mg per unit volume of water (mg/L) or parts per million (ppm) if TDS level higher value than 500 ppm is considered as hard or contaminated water.
An excellent domestic water treatment plant is designed specifically to clean the water used for household purposes. It maintains the ph level, takes care of TDS levels, removes unwanted impurities and metals, and retains the essential nutrients required by the human body.
Types of water purifiers
- RO or Reverse Osmosis – It is best for treating hard water and can handle TDS levels efficiently.
- Ultra Violet (UV) technology– It is efficient in killing 99% of undesirable microorganisms such as viruses, bacteria, etc.
- Ultra Filtration (UF) technology– It helps in removing all types of bacteria, viruses, and germs but not metals. It is also not good to handle high TDS levels.
- Activated Carbon– It is best for eliminating Carbon being porous efficiently remove impurities from water but lacks in removing dissolved solids.
- Water Softener– Water softeners work best in removing the hardness of water only. But if have other water issues like water chlorination, bacterial contamination or iron staining Water softeners won’t work.
- Alkaline Ionizer– it helps in maintaining the ph balance of water.
Domestic RO plant
The domestic water purifier is one of the most trusted types of water purifiers. It is considered best for treating hard water. It removes undesirable impurities and solids quite effectively but works less on microorganisms. The technology used in domestic RO plant contains a fragile fine cloth called RO membrane that filters all the impurities, solids and other poisonous chemicals like pesticides and metals such as Arsenic, Chlorine, Mercury, etc. It is best for eliminating Cryptosporidium, which is a parasitic coccidian protozoan that can cause intestinal infections. It has a storage tank that saves water in case of electricity cut-offs.
How domestic RO plant makes water fit for drinking?
RO water purifier is a combo of sediment, carbon filter, RO membrane, UV lamp, UF membrane, and post-carbon filter.
- Pre-filters remove more significant impurities like a sand slit, dirt and other solids in water.
- Carbon filter removes hazardous compounds such as pesticides and is also efficient in making water odor-free.
- RO membrane works best on little impurities, stop larger molecules like urea, bacteria, etc. and removes lead, copper, chromium, selenium, fluoride, etc.
- UV lamp kills harmful pathogens present in water. UV rays kill 99% of the harmful bacteria that cause waterborne disease.
- UF membrane is a hollow fiber membrane where water is passed to leave all the impurities behind.
- Post Carbon Filter is the last step in the RO plant. It removes any left-over impurities making water fit for drinking.
Some RO plant comes with TDS controller that helps in maintaining the essential mineral value in water.
Tips for choosing domestic water purifier
- Select the type of water purifier and the companies providing the same.
- Compare their prices, reviews, and features.
- Choose the best one that suits your water needs and your pocket.
Choosing the wrong water purifier may result in health issues in your family members. Hence always do thorough research before choosing one for the healthy life of your loved ones.